December’s Free Book of the Month* from Faithlife Ebooks, The Bible Handbook of Difficult Verses: A Complete Guide to Answering the Tough Questions, presents clear answers to these questions, and many more:
- Doesn’t science claim the universe is eternal? If so, how can it have a beginning?
- Why did God require the Jewish men to divorce their unbelieving wives, while the apostle Paul (1 Cor 7:12) said a man shouldn’t divorce his wife because she is an unbeliever?
- Why did David say that his sin was against the Lord when it appears it was primarily against Bathsheba and Uriah?
- Is Ezekiel’s vision in chapters 40–48 prophesying a literal millennial reign, or is this referring to Christ becoming the all-sufficient atonement for sin?
- Why does Joel prophesy that “the day of the LORD is upon us,” when it has taken hundreds and thousands of years to fulfill, with some prophecies yet to be fulfilled?
For every book of the Bible, you’ll find difficult passages alongside Josh and Sean McDowell’s well-researched, easy-to-grasp explanations. They write in “How to Use This Handbook”:
The apostle Paul said to “live wisely among those who are not believers, and make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be gracious and attractive so that you will have the right response for everyone” (Col 4:5–6). Having the right answer for everyone isn’t easy. Sometimes when we’re stuck about what this passage means or how that Scripture is to be applied, we may be tempted to say, “We take these things by faith.”
But again Paul reminds us that “if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it. But do this in a gentle and respectful way” (1 Pet 3:15–16). What we hope to have done in this Bible Handbook of Difficult Verses is provide “the right answer” to help you “be ready to explain it.” We won’t be answering every possible question there is about what the Bible teaches. What we will do is offer answers by trusted scholars who have given much study and thought to many of the tough issues of the Bible. Not all scholars agree on how to explain certain passages. So we will, at times, provide differing opinions and interpretations by various scholars on both sides of the issue.
We will not shy away from some of the tough issues of Scripture either. We will tackle passages that are difficult to understand, some that have commonly been misinterpreted, and portions of the Bible that some believe contain mistakes, errors, or contradictions. Our hope is that the explanation of over 240 passages in this handbook will, first and foremost, give you a deeper love for God and his Word. And then we hope it provides you with answers to your questions to equip you to confidently explain your faith to others.
The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics: Surveying the Evidence for the Truth of Christianity by Ed Hinson and Ergun Caner
The Key Ideas Bible Handbook: Understanding and Applying All the Main Concepts Book by Book by Ron Rodes
Counseling through Your Bible Handbook: Providing Biblical Hope and Practical Help for 50 Everyday Problems by June Hunt
* Due to publisher rights restrictions, the free book this month may not be available in your area.