Cadence International Hospitality House: Serving Those Who Serve

US Air Force

Michael Payne, a missionary with Cadence International, has recently started trying out Proclaim as he serves the men and women of the U.S. Air Force in South Korea. We’ve had the privilege of learning a little more about how God is using Michael and other missionaries through the ministry of Cadence International.

The brave men and women who serve in the armed forces experience conditions on a regular basis that no person should ever have to face. Whether they serve for a couple of years or a couple of decades, people who serve in the military are among those most likely to experience psychological trauma like survivor’s guilt and PTSD.

“You’re going to see things,” Michael says. “You’re going to be exposed to things, that in the normal course of life you shouldn’t be exposed to.” That’s why Cadence International exists. By being the hands and feet of Jesus, Michael gets to tell soldiers, “You don’t have to go it alone.”

As someone who served in the military, Michael knows the mental and emotional challenges military personnel face.

“For three years after I got out of the military, there were still things I couldn’t talk about,” Michael says. “I know how hard it was for me to have to get a phone call and be gone in less than 24 hours. And to not be able to tell anybody where I was going, how long I was going to be gone, what I was going to be doing.”

The secrecy required for national security can lead to intense loneliness.

“I remember getting back and not having anybody to talk to. You bottle it up or drown it in alcohol.”

Michael knows exactly how desperately these men, women, and families need Jesus.

His wife Jonna says, “They’re dealing with life and death issues, and there’s intense pressures on their families, who are left behind at these bases.”

That’s why for the Paynes, Cadence International is how they choose to share the gospel and their lives with the military community.

Michael says, “I honestly don’t know how these guys and gals that don’t have Christ make it, I don’t know how they cope. I don’t know how they function.”

The Payne’s live at the Osan Hospitality House in Songtan, South Korea, where they provide U.S. service personnel with a home away from home near a U.S. military base.

The Payne’s and Cadence International provide a support network of chaplains and missionary families serving around the globe. It’s a global, mobile mission.

And that’s where Proclaim comes in. Proclaim Church Presentation Software was designed for people like Michael Payne. It’s cloud-based, so Michael can prepare to teach from anywhere, with anyone.

Michael’s ministry is about putting other people before himself. His family even has a catchphrase—”I am third”—which they use to remind each other that God comes first, then others, then themselves. When your ministry is built on relationships, you don’t have time to waste playing with fonts and trying to make everything look right on the screen.

That’s why Proclaim is like having a built-in designer—one of our professional designers has already selected the ideal font, text size, and colors to accompany each slide, so it looks right every time. With Proclaim, anyone on your staff can look like a professional.

Plus, Proclaim connects to SongSelect by CCLI, Planning Center, and other tools ministry professionals use all the time—so you can automate parts of your service prep that normally take up valuable time.

And say you want to record your sermons for people who can’t make it to your service. Proclaim has one of the simplest sermon recording solutions available, and it’s built right into the software. You don’t have to install more programs or hand off a thumb drive to your resident video-editing professional—just tell Proclaim what you want to record, run your presentation, and share it online. It all happens in one place.

Faithlife is always exploring new ways that technology can serve the church. By producing products like Proclaim for people like Michael, we get to live out our mission to help people grow in the light of the Bible. We do our part to help you do yours.

Learn more about how you can support the Payne family through Cadence International, and see how Proclaim can serve you with a free 30 day trial.

Comments

1. digitalquaker says

“The brave men and women who serve in the armed forces experience conditions on a regular basis that no person should ever have to face.”

First of all, not everyone who participates in the military is brave. As for the conditions many of these men and women face, these are exactly some of the reasons NOT to join the military. I’m all for Faithlife featuring articles which promote their products, but lets can the language of bravado and elevation for harming other people, regardless of our perceived justification.

Lets help these people before they’ve joined the military as well as after they been traumatized by the experience with God’s good news.
    Peace, Love, Shalom

• Chris J says

May God Bless you my brother in Christ! Here’s the thing, instead of finding fault where there is none to be found, why can’t you lift up your praise to Jesus that there are men and women willing to bring the transformative message of the Gospel anywhere and everywhere it is needed?! “The harvest is plentiful but the laborers are few.” I am thankful Cadence exists to exalt Christ and to bring the Gospel to the military and their families.

• DigitalQuaker says

Thank you Chris, and may God bless you my friend. I do wish to say however, that I do think there is some fault here, as I was trying to articulate in my post. The issue isn’t with Cadence House, their staff, or members of the military in general. I do take issue with many of the military missions and methods, and the characterization of those missions. What I’m complaining about is a lack of balance in the language, and I think most people who use Logos would agree that language and words are important. Think of this as a Psalm; even in complaint we can praise, but it must be authentic. God wants our tears and anger too, so it is proper we bring these as well.

• John says

digitalquaker, You are right that not everyone in the military is brave, just like not everyone who condemns the military is peaceful or humble. As a veteran I assure you I never felt “brave,” but I did feel honored to serve my country and be a missionary while doing so. Your snarky condemnation isn’t any more helpful.

• DigitalQuaker says

I’m sorry you’re so defensive of your service John My comments were not snarky, and I never said a person shouldn’t feel good about doing good things. You’re going to have to accept that not everyone sees the military through the same lens that you do, as I’ve had to. My complaint was the gratuatous blanket statement presented by the article, not a condemnation of anyone in particular. Faithlife should continue to do incredible things focused on it’s mission of bringing God’s truth, without jingoism. There is also no need for a picture of any armed service regalia. The message isn’t about the uniform, it’s about the ministry of helping people who need help.

• John says

I am very much aware many do not see military service like I do, I’m related to some of them even. I am not defensive of my service in the least, very proud of it with nothing to apologize for or explain to you. Your statement about reasons not to join the military, the same could be said for the trauma of ministry. Neither is a walk in the park and both encounter opposition by those who’ve never done it and don’t understand it. Doesn’t mean those are reasons to avoid it. Your comments were unnecessary, unwarranted, and disrespectful. That is my final say on the matter, good day.

• DigitalQuaker says

Good ministry and the Military do not equate, much as some might like them to. And to infer there is a lack of understanding only exposes inflexibility and inability to respecting other valid perspectives without becoming reactionary. I’m going to hold you in the light John, and I do regret any pain that this dialog has resulted in for you.
            Shalom

2. John says

Just a technicality but you may want to have a picture of a U.S. service member on an article about ministering to U.S. service members. Not sure what country this picture is from but it isn’t anyone in an American branch of the Armed Services.

3. Dwayne says

I have been in the military (US Air Force) for over 18 years. I have had the privilege of not only being a receiver of the services that Cadence Hospitality Houses offer, but also a servant to others in attendance. I have been a regular attender at the Osan Hospitality House on three separate stays in South Korea. I know the Paynes and they are wonderful people and do a great job. I am currently attending the Kaiserslautern Hospitality House in Germany. Cadence International Hospitality Houses offer military families, especially those serving an unaccompanied tour, (a tour length served overseas when your family is not allowed to go as well) a home away from home and a safe haven from all of the negative things there are to do inside and outside the gate.

dear digital,
    as a retired Air Force chaplain who invested 29 years of my life in the military-and actually spent a year at Osan (and having had a close association with the Hosptiality House there), I can tell you, the Christ followers there are some of the finest around. Personally, I received Christ while in Technical Training (working on the B-52 bombing navigation system–the system that drops the bombs; hence the reason for the existence of the aircraft). I grew as a Christian on Guam, while learning my craft to keep our nation safe from all enemies, particularly foreign.

I'm well aware that there are people, such as yourself who are pacifists and you use the same Scripture as I do to justify your position. But you have to be aware of the fact that Scripture–God's revelation, primarily of Himself–is also a warrior book (so what does that make God?). Think of Joshua, who God commanded His own people to wipe out "everything that breathes" in the land God would eventually give them. And what was the reason? The wickedness of Israel's enemies. But as you surely know, God promised His people that if they turn away from Him, nations more wicked than they would come and wipe them out. His own people! BTW, one of the greatest warriors in the OT was David who was a man after God's own heart. He even said, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit that it was God who trained his hands for war.

In the NT, when John the Baptist was calling out to prepare the way for the Lord, some pagan soldiers were present, most likely for baptism. They asked John what they should do. His answer was not "get out of the military" (which by the way worshiped Caesar), but he told them "don't accuse anybody falsely" and "be content with your pay."

And who was the first gentile convert recorded in the book of Acts? None other than Cornelius, a centurion who happened to be a proselyte. When Peter preached the gospel to him and his relatives, Peter never told Cornelius to resign from military service. In Philippi, the jailer who kept watch over Paul and Silas was probably a Roman soldier as well.

And let's not forget the greatest warrior who ever will walk the face of the earth, none other than the Lord Jesus Himself. Revelation 19 describes Him as one who will utterly destroy the enemies of Israel and save all His people.

Finally, I dare say that if you were living in a Muslim dominated country, you would not have the freedom to criticize others publically the way you seem to be doing. You may not even be a Christian if you were living in a Muslim dominated country. One of the very reasons you are able to hold the opinion you hold to is that, humanly speaking, the military protects you so that you can speak what is on your mind. That is perfectly fine–you have the right to. Ronald Reagan's motto was "peace through strength". If it wasn't for our military strength–again humanly speaking (as we know, ultimately it's the grace of God who mercifully protects us, in spite of our own wickedness), we would not have the peace to speak our piece. Please remembert that, sir/ma'am, the next time you want to express your negative opinions about our brave men and women–and yes they are brave–I've seen their bravery up close and personal. I don't think you have had the privilege of serving our country. If you are able, perhaps you could become a chaplain. They are non-combatants, prohibited by the Geneva Convention from carrying a weapon. Believe it or not I met a chaplain from the Friends denomination. They do exist. In addition, the Lord is alive and well in the military. Personally I've had the privilege of seeing dozens, if not hundreds of people come to faith in Christ, both as an enlisted member and as a chaplain.

Lord bless you.

One other thing. Where I came to Christ was at a Christian Servicemen's Center right outside of Lowry AFB, Denver CO. I'm not sure if it still remains. I also have a good friend who is a Cadence missionary in South Carolina. Cadence is absolutley vital, in my opinion, for not all chaplains in the military, just like not all pastors, are even born again. There are thousands who sit under liberal teaching in military chapels all over the world who will wind up going to hell because they didn't hear the gospel in the chapel services, though they thought they did. Hospitality Houses near military installations are, by and large, Bible believing missionaries to the military.