Why You Should Read the Bible Every Day

daily bible readingI was talking with a friend recently about how I’d been spending a lot of time reading books about the Bible, but less time reading the Bible itself. The spaces between my personal reflections on Scripture were growing wider. I still felt like I was growing and learning, but deep down I knew I was missing something.

Our conversation turned to my parents, who have been incredible, faithful examples of what it means to follow Jesus all my life—but they rarely read the Bible. For my parents, years of task-oriented, check-the-box dedication to Bible study left them with a bitter taste in their mouths. Reading the Bible and memorizing its verses had been impressed upon them so strongly that they could no longer read the Bible without also recalling the negative reinforcement and guilt that often accompanies regimented Bible-reading groups. Both of my parents have preferred to learn and grow by reading someone else’s reflections on Scripture rather than diving into it themselves.

They were spiritually scarred by their perspective of Bible study.

I grew up thinking, “But that’s still no excuse.” Yet, as I found myself encountering similar methodologies for Bible study, I couldn’t help but wonder, “Is this going to wear me out too?” My parents were once just as enthusiastic about Bible study as I was.

The church has more Bible study plans, methods, groups, and techniques than we know what to do with. But here’s the thing: these methods help you create discipline to do something you should want to do. If you don’t see the purpose behind the methods, you’ll burn out. On their own, Bible reading plans and verse memorization techniques are overwhelming—they take time and effort, and can leave you feeling guilty for missing a day, a week, or a meeting.

What’s the point of Bible study plans?

Starting a Bible reading plan is like starting a new diet.

Changing your diet takes discipline. Even if it’s something you really want for yourself, it’s easy to slip up and forget about it. If you let bad habits keep footholds in your life, you’ll fail before you start, and you’ll never create the healthy new habits you want.

Bible reading plan

FacebookShareTwitterShare

The Bible is one of our greatest sources of spiritual food. But sometimes we still fill up on junk food. Blogs, social media, news, TV shows, books, and games. These things aren’t bad in themselves, but when they’re the only sources of perspective, information, and insight you consume, something is missing.

When you have a sodium deficiency, your body craves salty foods. You might not even notice that you’re craving salty foods in particular, but your body is reacting to that deficiency by creating a desire for something that restores it.

Many non-Christians have no desire to read the Bible. They want nothing to do with it. But that doesn’t mean that as God’s creation they don’t, on some level, crave his truth, his wisdom, his love, or his perspective. I see non-Christians all the time who have no idea how closely their innermost desires parallel God’s desires for them.

A Christian, though, is much more likely to notice the source of this spiritual deficiency—we’ve already been exposed to the source of God’s wisdom, truth, and perspective. God’s Word is meant to permeate every aspect of our lives. Our knowledge of him is supposed to transform us into “the aroma of Christ” (2 Corinthians 2:15), but something smells fishy.

The more the spaces grow between my daily readings, the more I find myself saying things like, “That reminds me of a verse in [book of the Bible],” or, “That sounds kind of like the passage where . . .” Before I know it, I’m not just paraphrasing Scripture anymore—I’m making vague references to it, or letting other sources have a greater impact on my understanding of God’s character.

In those moments, losing sight of the value of daily Bible study is more like cutting caffeine from my diet. I’ve never been a coffee drinker, but I have energy drinks all the time because they help me stay alert and focused when I need to be. Caffeine is something I’ve made a part of my regular diet for a purpose—and when I stop having it, I feel it. I don’t have the energy I used to throughout the day. I can’t focus as long. Or, worse, I get headaches.

Without your daily dose of Scripture, it’s tough to be at your best all day.

But reading your Bible isn’t just something you need to do to stay spiritually healthy. It’s not a pill you have to swallow or a chalky vitamin you have to chew. Reading the Bible is something you should do because you want to.

What if I don’t want to read the Bible?

Imagine that your parents wrote a book for you—it’s the history of your family, their marriage, your childhood, how you’ve become the person you are today, and their hopes and dreams for your future. Woven throughout the book is a clear, underlying theme: they love you very much. Maybe, just maybe, you pick up on another theme as well: you haven’t always known what was best for you, and they usually know what they’re talking about.

How do you think they would feel if you told them, “Look, at least I read a chapter today”?

How much you read and how frequently you read is not the point.

Part of my job at Faithlife lets me write reflections on Scripture or dig into biblical topics. To do that well, I need to dig into the Bible daily. But whenever I read the Bible for work, I’m reading with an agenda—I’m hunting for a verse or prowling through a passage. For Scripture to penetrate my heart and permeate my life, I have to read it just to read it, too.

Reading the Bible exposes you to the history of the creator’s relationship to creation—that includes you. If you want to know who God is, he had 40 people write a whole book about him over the course of about 1,500 years. Now all you have to do is pick a Bible up off the shelf, read the Bible online, or download the Bible on your phone.

However you read the Bible, you’re going to get the most out of it if you do it because you want to.

Don’t do it because someone is making you.

Don’t do it to show off how much you read.

Don’t memorize verses to get a cookie, a prize, or acknowledgement.

Those can all be useful motivators to help you get on the right track and create healthy spiritual habits you want to have. But don’t let those be the reasons you read the Bible.

Read the Bible because it excites you.

Read the Bible because you want to know God.

Read the Bible because it’s living and active (Hebrews 4:12).

Read the Bible because it can speak powerful truth into your life right now.

Read the Bible so that your life reveals more of Christ (2 Corinthians 3:3).

Those are reasons to open your Bible every day.

So why bother with Bible reading plans?

I lead a small group of high school freshmen boys. Every two weeks this year we’ve read a chapter of Mark and talked about it together.

Every time we meet, at least half of them say, “I didn’t have time to read it.”

One chapter. Two weeks.

Without discipline, you’ll never read the Bible regularly—no matter how badly you want to.

Daily Bible reading plans, Bible study techniques, and external incentives are all tools designed to help you develop discipline and make Bible study part of your regular routine.

My wife started a diet because she wanted to. At first, she knew that she wouldn’t always be able to resist the unhealthy foods she used to have whenever she felt like. A group of her coworkers started dieting too, and together, they held each other accountable. Sometimes my wife would decline cookies because she knew she would have to tell her coworkers she’d cheated on the diet. But she didn’t start the diet because of her coworkers. She started because she wanted to eat healthier. After eating healthier for a few months, the reasons why she started were enough to keep her going. She didn’t need reminders or accountability.

In the same way, those external factors that help us read the Bible regularly are not the reason why we read. But they are, hopefully, tools we can use until we’ve created healthier habits and made Bible study part of our daily lives. These tools, coupled with meaningful, personal reasons to read the Bible will help you have a far richer spiritual life.

My church recently went through a series called, “Room for Cream.” The premise was that if we want to have room for God in our lives, we couldn’t “fill our cup” until there’s no room for the good stuff. If you don’t have time to read your Bible, what do you need to remove to make time?

The conclusion was profoundly simple:

If you want room for cream in your life, put the cream in first.

If you’re trying to make Bible study a habit, start your day with it. Don’t wait until you’ve filled your day with everything else. Don’t wait until you’re too tired.

You could even read the Bible right now.

Room for cream

FacebookShareTwitterShare

Learn how to read the Bible for yourself

Want help getting started? We have a free 10 day Bible study course that can teach you some of the same strategies veteran Bible readers use all the time. See how easy it is to draw fresh insights from the Bible, and start applying it directly to your own life.

So what are you waiting for? Sign up below, and we’ll send you daily videos with lessons taught by professional Bible readers (seriously, they do this for a living).

Comments

1. Paul Lehr says

Thanks for this post. A couple of months ago, I realized that with all of the electronic resources that I have about the Bible spinning on my hard drive, I had been reading more of the commentaries and other stuff rather than the Bible itself. I had read thru the Bible a few of times in a year using plans from our church and I thought that I should do that again so I set up a Bible reading plan to read the entire Bible before the end of the year (so easy to do that in Logos). So I am now in Joshua and enjoying just reading the Bible. It is amazing that even though I have read the Bible through before, there have been times when I stop and think…”I don’t remember seeing that before”.
    After I have finished, I sometimes go back and consult some of those resources patiently spinning on my hard drive to help me get better understanding. But the reading of the Bible itself is my goal. Thanks for your post. I found it off of my Logos home page.

2. Michael Hennessey says

Dear Pastor Marvel,

I am a 65 year old lay person. No higher education.

This article gave me some insight to how my mother feels. She always hated church because her parents lived in the Bible Belt and they volunteered for everything that needed done at church. She talked so much about being at church with her father that I thought he was a Pastor until well into my 30’s.

Spiritually Scarred is a excellent term. As kids we were never encouraged to go to church. My Mom encouraged us to read the Bible and I went to church occasionally with friends. I and my wife attend church now.

I think spiritually scarred could account partly for the reason churches are losing young adults. How many parents drag their children to church on Sunday, put them in Sunday School where they are humiliated because they can not memorize verses as fast as the other kids? Or adult bible study that has everyone read a section and you are humiliated because you can not pronounce the words properly.

Michael

3. Ken Allen says

Why read the bible everyday? Here’s why . . .

“What you read when you don’t have to, WILL determine what you will be when you can’t help it.”

When the storms of life break crash down there is only one foundation that will stand, and that is the Word of God. You don’t build it by going to church on Sunday, volunteering for committees, or by reading Christian self help books. Only the Word of the Living God, revealed by the Spirit of God, that has penetrated into the deepest parts of your being, over a long period of time will see you through.

The best small group bible study I have ever been in was 3 men meeting once a week. Each week we would decide on a passage of scripture to read. It needs to be enough that you need to read everyday to complete the assignment, but not so much that you fail more than you succeed. The rule that makes this very effective is everyone must complete all of the reading for the week or everyone reads everything again. I consumed more actual bible reading during that time as I ever have before or since.

Thank you for your post. I encourage everyone to make bible reading a priority. It is far and away the most important thing you will ever do with your time.

Thanks! Always love it when folks are encouraged to read the Scriptures. Daily, for 20 plus years have read the Scriptures. Began with a One Year Bible, have eventually, for the last 5 or so years, been reading F. LaGarde Smith's One Year Bible in Chronological Order. Originally began cause I thought if I just read, over and over, eventually something would stick. Will not begin the activities of the day without reading the Scriptures and several other books. Consider it my daily spiritual breakfast. One year, while reading the Daily Bible, paid attention to how the Father revealed Himself in the OT. The next year, as I began, decided to look for the same in the NT. One morning, somewhere toward the end of Mark, I prayerfully said, "I don't get it God. Don't see you like I saw you in the OT, clouds, fire, visions, etc." As clear as a bell, He said to me, "That's me, with skin on." At that point, for the 60 some odd years of my existence, I had said those words, sung those words, heard them preached and taught, but, Immanuel, God with us, had never moved from my head to my heart. The Father graciously, and probably laughing at the same time, removed the scales. And, while I frequently miss the mark, almost every day, the Spirit speaks, so I read, mark and inwardly digest. Will probably be cremated, assuming Messiah doesn't return prior to my demise, with this duct tape bound revelation of the Father.

It is true, reading the Bible has to be something one purposes in his heart to do because it is the right thing to do and not just because they have been asked to do. I must admit it is a struggle, but one that determination and the suggestions here offered would help faithful saints overcome. The best way to be good at something is not to think about it, but to start doing it. Start reading your Bible today.

Thanks for this thought provoking article. There is nothing to compare with a well structured and organized Bible plan. For years now I have formed the habit of picking different Bible study plans that will enable go through the whole Bible on a yearly basis, and i can say it has really helped me in my spiritual life. You can read many christian books, but none of them can be compared to the source 'The Holy Bible,' I tell you it is the beginning and the end of all wisdom, so a daily dose of it is not bad at all, I don't joke with it and I can say God has been helping me to be faithful.

7. LegendsOfBatman says

One thing that has always been curious to me is how we tend to read the Bible, study the Bible, go to church, etc., is to learn about God. Those who taught with me, under me, and learned with me, and under me, have been corrected to realize we want to not learn about God; but to learn who God is, come to God.

Your article is right on spot in this concept. Read the Bible because:
    It excites you
    You want to know God
    it’s living and active
    it will speak powerful truth into your life now
    you will reveal more of Christ in your life.

EXCELLENT points.

Yes. Reading the Bible is healthy for our entire being. I usually try to read when I wake up, however sometimes I get caught up in TV ministries and read a couple of chapters at night. I really need to get on a schedule again. Thanks for your comments and insight.

9. rajitha daniel says

Why do we read BIBLE, when we can’t understand or remember ????

An old Farmer lived on a farm in the mountains with his Youngblood grandson.

Each morning, Grandpa wakes up early sitting at the kitchen table reading his BIBLE. His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, “Grandpa! I try to read the BIBLE just like you but I didn’t understand it, and what I do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading the BIBLE do?”

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the stove and replied,
    “Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a basket of water.”

The boy did as he was told, but all the water leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and said, “You’ll have to move a little faster next time,” and sent him back to the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, “I don’t want a bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You’re just not trying hard enough,” and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak out before he got back to the house.

The boy again dipped the basket into river and ran hard, but when he reached his grandfather the basket was again empty. Out of breath, he said, “See Grandpa, it’s useless!”

“So you think it is useless ?” The old man said, “Look at the basket.”
    The boy looked at the basket and for the first time realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a dirty old coal basket to clean and fresh basket of inside and out.

“Son, that’s what happens when you read the BIBLE. You might not understand or remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out of your thought and behaviour. That is the work of Lord JESUS Christ in our lives.”

Isn’t it simply amazing ! ,,,
    Must read. !!!

GRACIAS POR LA BUENA EXHORTACION Y MOTIVACION PARA QUE LEAMOS LA BIBLIA, LA HERRAMIENTA MAS PODEROSA POR EXCELENCIA PARA PODER CRECER, CONOCER Y AMAR A DIOS. REALMENTE SIN LA LECTURA DE LA BIBLIA DIARIA CRECEMOS RAQUITICOS Y SEREMOS SIEMPRE NIÑOS QUE NECESITAREMOS DE TETERO Y LECHE.

11. Victor Okenyi says

I find hearing the Bible read helpful especially when one is a bit tired at the end of the day.
    I find that one picks up certain things that one misses when trying to read. I wonder if others have the same experience. Listening to an audio Bible is something I enjoy a lot.

12. Ed Resoles says

I make it a habit to read the bible during the wee hour of the morning and before I go to bed. It is true that reading the bible and meditating His word is like taking your breakfast every morning without missing it and the end results is that your fairh grow stronger. I evev encourage my fellow Christian to make it theri habit read the bible especially during quiet time where you are personally talking to God and thanking Him for the greatest things He has fone in my life.

It's strange that we do not have to be disciplined to eat natural food; we have to be disciplined not to! Every time you read God's Word ask him to reveal his word to you by his Holy Spirit. Don't try to understand it; let God speak it to you. It will become exciting and you will just want to be reading it, and feeding your spirit man. This is the Bread of Life and the Fountain of Living Water.

Thank you. I've been a strong advocate for reading my Bible for years. May favorite way to do so is to use a Chronological reading schedule that a pastor introduced to me years ago. I love having everything put into sequence; it helps me to understand it better. He also pointed out the fact that we have time in our lives for the things that are important to us. I was very convicted and used the schedule he gave us to start reading. In the beginning I had to use little tricks to keep going: charting out a family tree as far as I could as I read, making a game of pronouncing all those names out loud in the geneologies and lists of captains, totalling the various numbers in the book of Numbers before I got to the end…whatever it took. Eventually I no longer had to use those little tricks. I read through my Bible every year now and have for quite some time. Each year the Lord helps me understanding something I didn't before or helps me understand something better. Now I look forward to starting again each year to see what the Lord will help me understand this time.

15. AJ says

I’ve tried reading the Bible but it has bored me, or else I can’t understand what it is talking about. Maybe I’m too stupid to get it. All I know is I feel like God doesn’t want me to understand. I’ve heard that once you have the spirit it’ll all make sense. All I can think is maybe God never accepted me to begin with.

AJ, I don’t believe you are too stupid, or that God does not accept you. And you are not alone. I believe that what you’re feeling is one of the dangers of the “let the Spirit help you” mentality Christians often take. The Bible makes it clear that the Holy Spirit plays a role in our understanding of Scripture (1 Corinthians 2:14), but that mentality often makes people feel as though “I must not have the Spirit, because I don’t understand this.”

That’s simply not the case. You can certainly accept Jesus, receive the Holy Spirit, and still not understand the Bible. I won’t pretend like I understand it all, and what I do understand has been learned over a long time, and with a lot of help.

The reality is, the Bible was not written to modern day people, nor was it written by modern day people. In order to understand what it’s saying, we need some understanding of what it was saying to the original people it was written to. Context is one of the most important things you can learn when you’re trying to understand what the Bible is saying.

What have you tried reading so far?

I think the two greatest challenges people face when starting to read the Bible is 1. knowing where to start and 2. picking a readable translation.

I would recommend starting with Matthew, Mark, Luke, or John. Personally, James is my favorite book, but I think it’s most important for people to read the gospel start to finish.

There are a few things to consider when choosing a translation, and this post does a nice job explaining the basics: https://blog.faithlife.com/blog/2013/11/how-to-choose-a-bible-translation/

If you are struggling to find the Bible interesting or clear, it can also really help to read books that pastors, scholars, and other Christians have written about the Bible. Sometimes all it takes is seeing someone else’s perspective on a book, an account, and how it all fits together. Other times someone can show you something the Bible doesn’t tell you, but that makes the significance of what you’re reading more clear.

I hope this helps, and I hope you don’t give up. This can be hard, but it is so worth it. Do you have people in your life who can help you study the Bible?

Anyone who has to be cajoled into reading The Word of God is definitely not His Servant and is definitely not His Child- it doesn’t matter what stupid rituals nor formulas they have been taught.

Kenneth Copeland told this Testimony of Oral Roberts, that he once prayed:

“How can I know Jesus?”

He was answered:

“READ MATTHEW, MARK, LUKE, JOHN, AND THE BOOK OF ACTS- THREE TIMES IN THIRTY DAYS!”

He did it on his knees.

At the end of the thirty days, he testified, he knew Jesus better than he knew any man on the Face of the Earth!

ANYONE WHO DOES NOT DO THIS IMMEDIATELY IS NOT A REAL CHRISTIAN, AND CANNOT BE RELIED ON.

. LEVITICUS 11:1-12.

11 And The LORD spoke unto Moses and to Aaron, Saying unto them,
    2. “Speak unto the Children of Israel, saying,
    ‘These are the beasts which ye shall eat among all the Beasts that are on the Earth.’
    3. “Whatsoever parteth the hoof and is cloven-footed and cheweth the cud among the Beasts, that shall ye eat.
    4. “Nevertheless these shall ye not eat, of those that chew the cud or of those that divide the hoof: the camel, because he cheweth the cud but divideth not the hoof, he is unclean unto you;
    5. “And the coney, because he cheweth the cud but divideth not the hoof, he is unclean unto you;
    6. “And the hare, because he cheweth the cud but divideth not the hoof, he is unclean unto you;
    7. “And the swine, though he divide the hoof and is cloven-footed, yet he cheweth not the cud, he is unclean to you.
    8. “Of their flesh shall ye not eat, and their carcass shall ye not touch; they are unclean to you.”
    9. “These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat.
    10. “And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
    11. “They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination.
    12. “Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you.”

YAHWEH GOD ENCODED THE SECRETS OF HOW TO FULLY COMPREHEND HIS WORD, AND CHANNEL HIS WISDOM AND POWER IN HIS KOSHER/TREIF LAW.

. JOHN 6:26-29.
    26. Jesus answered them and said,
    “Verily, verily, I say unto you,
    ‘Ye seek me,
    not because ye saw the Miracles,
    but because ye did eat of the loaves,
    and were filled.’
    27. “Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto Everlasting Life, which the Son of Man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.”
    28. Then said they unto him,
    “What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?”
    29. Jesus answered and said unto them,
    “This is the Work of God, that ye believe on him whom He hath sent.”

THE FAILED CHRISTIANS AND FAILED JEWS ONLY THINK ABOUT MEAT AND FISH. They invariably forget that THE WORD OF GOD IS FOOD.

. DEUTERONOMY 8:1-6.

ALL The Commandments which I command thee this day shall ye observe to do, that ye may live, and multiply, and go in and possess the land which The LORD sware unto your fathers.
    2. And thou shalt remember all the Way which The LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep His Commandments, or no.
    3. And He humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with Manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that He might make thee know that

“MAN DOTH NOT LIVE BY BREAD ONLY
    BUT BY EVERY (WORD) THAT PROCEEDETH
    OUT OF THE MOUTH OF THE LORD
    DOTH MAN LIVE.”

4. Thy raiment waxed not old upon thee, neither did thy foot swell, these forty years.
    5. Thou shalt also consider in thine heart,

“THAT, AS A MAN CHASTENETH HIS SON,
    SO THE LORD THY GOD CHASTENETH THEE.”

6. Therefore thou shalt keep The Commandments of the LORD thy God, to walk in His Ways, and to fear Him.

YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS, BECAUSE YOU ALLOWED CLERGYMEN TO DO ALL YOUR THINKING FOR YOU: AND ALL CLERGYMEN ARE TRAINED TO DECEIVE THEIR CONGREGATIONS AND THE WORLD.

. JOHN 6:63.

63. “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the Words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are Life.”

EVERYTHING WE NEED IS IN THE WORD OF GOD- BUT THE WORD OF GOD IS USELESS TO US, UNLESS WE KNOW HOW TO ASSIMILATE IT. That is what The Kosher/Treif Law of Clean/Unclean Meats is about.

. JOHN 15:12-16.

12. “This is my Commandment,

‘THAT YE LOVE ONE ANOTHER,
    AS I HAVE LOVED YOU.’

13. “Greater love hath no man than this,

‘THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE
    FOR HIS FRIENDS.’

14. “Ye are my Friends, if ye do whatsoever I Command you.
    15. “Henceforth I call you not Servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you Friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
    16. “Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of The Father in my Name, He may give it you.”

THERE IS NO WAY THAT YAHSHUA DID NOT EXPLAIN THE KOSHER/TREIF LAW TO HIS DISCIPLES. This is the only way to decipher his Parable Teachings.

Someone therefore decided to remove this Knowledge from The New Testament. Church History would have been completely different, if Christians had had access to The TRUE MEANING of The Kosher/Treif Law.

Not that I was so smart to have figured this out on my own, or had some brilliant Master-Teacher. The explanation is in THE EPISTLE OF BARNABAS. Therefore, when I say that this Knowledge was deliberately omitted from The Bible, I know whereof I speak.

BARNABAS was the IDIOT who gave the False Apostle Paul his “IN” into the Church- urging them to forgive him for LITERALLY UNPARDONABLE SINS. Whereupon Paul finally got rid of him, by refusing to forgive JOHN MARK for a relatively trivial offense.

Barnabas taught that the cloven hoof of the clean beast symbolizes that the Man of God has consciousness of two World’s- the Present, and The Kingdom of God to come.

The chewing of the cud, he said, symbolizes MEDITATION.

Actually, the LEFT side relates to the Spiritual, while the RIGHT side related to the MATERIAL, according to those who can *see* into Souls [see: THE FIRE FROM WITHIN, by Carlos Castaneda].

This Key aligns other Hidden Knowledge.

The Cloven-Hoof symbolizes the standpoint of SPIRITUAL/MATERIAL. God has given us a Spiritual Realm to mine, and a Physical Realm to exploit, applying His Commandments in both.

The Spiritual Realm has TEN DEPTHS, according to how the Human Soul is activated, layer-by-layer, from its right edge, through five layers, to its core, then the sixth through tenth activating spontaneously:

1. TOTAL RECALL.
    2. EXTRASENSORY PERCEPTION.
    3. TELEKINESIS.
    4. TELEPORTATION.
    5. TRANSLATION.
    6-10. EVERLASTING LIFE.

These are activated by MEDITATION.

. JOSHUA 1:8.

8. This Book of the Law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way Prosperous, and then thou shalt have Good Success.”

. PSALM 1:1-6.

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the Counsel of the Ungodly, nor standeth in the Way of Sinners, nor sitteth in the Seat of the Scornful.
    2. But his delight is in The Law of The LORD; and in His Law doth he meditate day and night.
    3. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.
    4. The Ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.
    5.Therefore the Ungodly shall not stand in The Judgment, nor sinners in the Congregation of the Righteous.
    6. For The LORD knoweth the Way of the Righteous: but the Way of the Ungodly shall perish.

. PSALM 119:97-105.

97. [MEM.] O how love I Thy Law! it is my Meditation all the day.
    98. Thou through Thy Commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me.
    99. I have more Understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my Meditation.
    100. I understand more than the Ancients, because I keep Thy Precepts.
    101. I have refrained my feet from every Evil Way, that I might keep Thy Word.
    102. I have not departed from Thy Judgments: for Thou hast Taught me.
    103. How sweet are Thy Words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
    104. Through Thy Precepts I get understanding: therefore I hate every false way.
    105. [NUN.] Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.

THE AVERAGE WESTERNER, HAVING TRUSTED THEIR EDUCATION TO PEOPLE WHO DO NOT WANT THEM TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEIR LEFT SIDE, KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT “MEDITATION.” All of those who THINK they known have been DISINFORMED.

If any lay person had uncovered the Truth about Meditation, it would have spread through society faster and more thoroughly than… knowledge of the Kardashians!

The term “MEDITATE” means “”TO MURMUR,” or “TO MUTTER.”

The ruminant beast wolfs down greenery, which gives into storage, then it goes somewhere quiet, and regurgitates it, mouthful-by-mouthful, and swallows it again, for final digestion.

THIS IS SYMBOLIC OF BIBLICAL MEDITATION.

The worshipper of God reads The Word of God aloud, making no attempt to evaluate, memorize, nor comprehend It at the time.

Later, they take a selection of verses- not too long- and repeat them to themselves audibly, HUNDREDS INTO THOUSANDS OF TIMES DAILY.

It may take DAYS, WEEKS, MONTHS, or YEARS, but the MENTAL BLOCKS created to prevent our Understanding, Receiving, or Believing The CORE TRUTHS of The Words of God eventually cave in, and we access the Hidden Levels of Conscious Awareness.

The more one meditates, the faster the progress.

It is very important to write down new insights as they appear; this acts as a “ratchet,” if sorts, and prevents the consciousness from slipping back into then state where it COULD NOT SEE what you wrote down.

THE SORTING OF FISH SYMBOLIZES THE SORTING OF USEFUL REVELATION FROM USELESS REVELATION.

. MATTHEW 7:12-29.

12. “Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the Law and the Prophets.
    13. “Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    14. “Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
    15. “Beware of False Prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
    16. “Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
    17. “Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
    18. “A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
    19. “Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
    20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
    21. “Not every one that saith unto me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter into the Kingdom of Heaven; but He that doeth the will of my Father which is in Heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day,

‘Lord, Lord, have we not
    prophesied in thy Name?
    And in thy Name have cast out Devils?
    And in thy Name done many wonderful Works?’

23. “And then will I profess unto them,

‘I NEVER KNEW YOU:
    DEPART FROM ME,
    YE THAT WORK INIQUITY.’

24. “Therefore whosoever heareth these Sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
    25. “And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
    26 . “And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
    27. “And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.”
    28. And it came to pass, when Jesus had ended these Sayings, the people were astonished at his Doctrine:
    29. For He taught them as one having authority, and not as the scribes.

. JOHN 7:24.

24. “Judge not according to the appearance, but judge Righteous Judgement.”

. THE FOUR LEVELS OF PERCEPTION.

4. DIFFERENTIATION: the sane and intelligent ability to perceive the differences between similar things.

3. ASSOCIATION: the sane and intelligent ability to perceive the similarities between different things.

2. IDENTIFICATION: the insane and stupid inability to perceive the differences between different things.

1. DISSOCIATION: the insane and stupid inability to perceive the similarities between similar things.

0. DEATH: the inability to perceive anything at all.

[See: THE FUNDAMENTALS OF THOUGHT, by L. Ron Hubbard.]

WHEN THE MENTAL BARRIERS CAUSED BY SIN BREAK DOWN, NEW CONSCIOUSNESS RESULTS. One begins to SEE things one never saw before. Just because an idea appears with bright and shiny CLARITY, that does not mean that it is CORRECT.

We see people who do not know the difference all around us,

They found their Ministries and stake their lives on CLARITY REVELATIONS- but, like FISH WITHOUT FINS OR SCALES, there are FUNDAMENTAL PARTICULARS MISSING.

Therefore, whenever a Meditation Revelation comes to you like that, YOU DON’T EAT IT- you DISCARD it!

You can see his many people have swallowed Revelations that tell them that they can STEAL, KILL, and DESTROY- and STILL call themselves “CHRISTIANS.”

They have Revelations that JUSTIFY SIN, POVERTY, and DEATH- because they FAIL to consider THE WHOLE LAW, and THE WHOLE GOSPEL.

Therefore, one has to read THE WHOLE BIBLE ALOUD- because the MENTAL BARRIER obstructing one from REMEMBERING EVERYTHING ONE HEARD BEFORE must be removed.

This begins to happen, when SATAN tells or shows you a LIE, and YOU RECALL what YOU SAID from THE WORD OF GOD against it.

ORAL ROBERTS had a vision, looking at people who had come to be prayed for and healed- their bodies looked normal, but suddenly he SAW into the Spiritual Realm, and he saw their SOUL BODIES.

They looked like more than starved refugees- they looked like “matchstick men:” so scrawny and wasted, that it seemed the very act of viewing them would break them apart!

This must be how most so-called Christians appear to God.

“Most Christians feed their BODIES
    three hot meals per day,
    and the SOULS one cold snack over week,
    and then wonder why they have no FAITH
    for HEALING!” – F.F. BOSWORTH.

17. Melissa says

This is so beautifully written. I googled these words “How your walk with Christ changes after you read your bible” and found your blog. I was trying to put into words what reading my bible has done in my walk with God. Well I should say, how reading has started my walk with God. Ive considered myself a Christan for over 20 years and never really had a true walk with God until about 3 weeks ago when I decided to read my bible and to study and to make a true and genuine effort to know and understand how big God truly is! Ive opened and read my bible many many times, but never with the desire as this and its powerful. Its humbling and it is an opening of my eyes in which Ive never experienced before. Its understanding that to seek God and to be used by God, for God that I have to dig into his word. Not just read to memorize. Reading with a desire to truly understand and to picture these things, its truly humbling. Your post took the words of my heart and what I’ve been wanting to express to others. Sitting in church, raising hands and praying prayers don’t mean much if you aren’t invested into the word of God. You can’t truly understand his Glory or how majestic he is unless you read, daily! Thank you for this post!! I hope you are able to see this comment, 2 years after your post lol! But its so true!! When you open the word and have a desire, he will start brewing in your heart in ways you’ve never known or felt.

Thank you for sharing your story Melissa. So glad to hear that God is still using this post. I pray he continues to fill you with a desire to know him through his Word—and that you don’t get discouraged by the way that desire sometimes ebbs and flows.

18. Sandra says

Been thinking about the difference regular Bible reading can make in the lives of believers. I see many people at my church and who I serve with at my faith-based workplace who are fatigued with constant striving and self-preservation, live in unrest, confusion, struggle with sin and trusting God.
    I have been trying trying to find my role in restoring, encouraging and even exhorting my brothers and sisters. I don’t want to stand in a place of judgement. What I have realized as I look at my own life is that whenever I find myself in those same struggles, it’s only been God’s Word to me that has brought me peace, direction and the patience to trust Him. In reading about His Character consistent through the pages of the Bible, I know that He is God. He is in control. He loves me. That changes EVERYTHING: my outlook, my hope, my perspective, my purpose and my zeal for God.

I read this morning John 12:24-25, “…unless a kernel of wheat fall to the ground and dies, it remains a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. Anyone who loves their life will list it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.” It struck me as very relevant. Unless, we make our new lives in Christ the priority, the focus, we miss the blessing of living a life of purpose. We get caught up in ourselves in somehow living the life we had before in the way we did before with the label “Christian.” The only way I know how to live as Christ did is to know Him and the Father that sent Him and orchestrated this grand plan to save us so that we would be an example of His Glory. When we don’t read the Bible, we miss His Game plan. We miss His voice, direction, love and encouragement to continue in this countercultural life. If we don’t, we are more easily lead astray by the ways of the world. Daily reading helps me live heavenly minded. I am of great early good because I am daily focused on the Father’s Will for me.

One person above criticized that those that don’t read the word are not believers. I’m not sure I’d go that far but it becomes harder and harder to believe when you are influenced more by the world and what it says than you are by what God says.

Reminds me of the parable of the sower. Good soil received the word well. And I would say we’re good soil when we receive it and receive it often.

Just my two cents…

19. Gwen Park says

Thank you for the encouragement – I have been reading the daily Catholic mass (just directly cited but related passages from the Bible with no commentary). If I am curious about something I read, I look up commentary. I have had some amazing experiences through this, but lately my concentration has been wavering. I feel quite corrupted by the materialistic forces in society and it does take over my spiritual life at times. The only way I can resist it is by feeding on the right stuff first thing in the day. I think there has to be an elemnt of discipline because of that – subjugating the flesh. I have the desire and intention to read, but a whole load of other stuff rises up to distract me. The pre-planned daily Bible readings are a way of me keeping in there, getting the actual Bible, not someone’s interpretation of it and seeing it in its releted contexts (OT, gospel, psalms, all linked). It’s the USSCB of Catholic Bishops in America and I really recommend it. I totaly agree with an earlier contributor about the only solid ground is the Word of God and we are exhirted to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. I believe this means internalising the Word of God in the right way, experientially, so it becomes effective and real in our lives.I have understood many things for the first time, just reading these short passages on my own and praying through them. The world is blowing a spiritual gale around us and the only sure thing are the words spoken by God to man.

20. Benedicta Rathod says

I read the Bible everyday sitting on my bed. My parents told me that I should not read a Holy Book sitting on the bed. I just wanted to know if this is true. Thank you.

My wife reads the bible every morning before going to work. I’m not sure why she likes to read it so much. Like you point out, I think that it is important not to read it because someone is making you. I’ll have to point this out to her the next time she tries to have me read with her.