Begin Your Old Testament Studies with Dr. John Walton

a47ad3f45ddf0ad8976f41.L._V188575409_SX200_Logos Mobile Ed now offers courses from John Walton, professor of Old Testament at Wheaton College. Dr. Walton’s work has helped me think through some of Scripture’s most challenging passages, and now you can dive into his lectures from anywhere. In the Background of the Old Testament Bundle, Dr. Walton applies his understanding of ancient Mesopotamian “worldviews” to the Old Testament in order to bring greater understanding to the Hebrew Scriptures.

I first discovered Dr. Walton’s intriguing scholarship through his book The Lost World of Genesis One, a book which provided a new—but exegetically sound—way of reading Genesis 1–3. I read through two of Dr. Walton’s other books—Ancient Near Eastern Thought and the Old Testament, a book which explained the worldview of ancient readers, and Genesis 1 as Ancient Cosmology, an academic monograph that applies his understanding of ancient peoples’ worldviews to Genesis 1. The John Walton Background of the Old Testament Bundle expands and develops Dr. Walton’s ideas in a classroom setting. He equips students to engage the Old Testament with a more complete understanding of the Old Testament’s original context.

In OT201 Old Testament Genres, Dr. Walton clarifies what the implications of genre are for exegesis, and he helps students develop a sound hermeneutical approach to the different types of literature in the Old Testament. He teaches students to view each book through the eyes of ancient readers, and to derive sound interpretations for modern readers. OT301 Origins of Genesis 1–3 emphasizes Dr. Walton’s work on ancient worldview as it applies to the opening chapters of Genesis. Dr. Walton provides refreshing interpretations of the Old Testament, bringing the Bible to life through his thorough research and clear explanations. So what are you waiting for?

Check out this video introduction for OT301 Origins of Genesis 1–3:

Begin your study of the Old Testament with Dr. John Walton today! Or, head over to Logos.com/Mobile-Ed for a complete list of courses, and find the classes that are right for you.

Comments

1. Ron Shinkle says

Walton is Not Good. I would advise all to skip this author for he degrades the creation account into other myths and ruins the creation account. I have sat under him and know first hand. In my opinion any money spent on this set is a pure waste.

He takes a different view of Genesis by stating the form of Gen is culture bound so reinterprets the 6 days as simply ordering material [some truth here] but there is no reference as far as actually creation there. He wanted to look at other cultures around Israel and use their world-life view to interpret Genesis – a Cosmic Geography. That is his downfall in my opinion. The account is unique and not to be interpreted through other cultures. That is the unique view of all the Word. It is not like the world but Walton misrepresents Genesis though eyes of people groups surrounding Israel.

He is a huge compromiser and has been called out several times. You can check out the links below:

• Mike Beidler says

Unfortunately, Ron, it is Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis that muffles the sacred Scriptures and does not let Genesis speak for itself by means of an ancient voice that, just like the original Hebrew in which it was written, requires cultural translation as well. You would do well to avoid listening to AiG, an organization that ironically sacrifices the Bible on the altar of science and, in doing so, degrades the creation account.

• Shaun Doyle says

Hmm, I have to say that as a young-ager I think both commenters are off target. It’s important to realize that Walton has failed to convince other evangelical scholars of his views on Genesis 1-11, both those more conservative than he (e.g. Noel Weeks, Richard Averbeck, and John Collins) and more progressive (e.g. Peter Enns and Denis Lamoureux). The only young-ager out of all those scholars is Noel Weeks, and every one of them have ample expertise to comment on Walton’s thesis. Personally, while I find the cultic overtones he evinces in Genesis 1 to be convincing (but they are overtones, not a rigid interpretive grid), Walton’s attempts to revision ANE ontology are not, either as philosophy (John Lennox has a good analysis of this in his book ‘The Seven Days that Changed the World’) or as comparative literature (material transformation is ubiquitous in the ANE cosmogonic literature; a point Averbeck has made before). I think John Collins’ discourse approach has more merit (though I think he often underestimates the historical referentiality of the chronological particulars in Genesis 1-11). Walton is worth listening to, and his expertise are to be respected. But that doesn’t make his interpretation of Genesis 1 right. Some of us who appreciate cultural context, comparative literature studies, and genre criticism still adhere to the traditional ‘historical week’ interpretation of Genesis 1.

2. Norman Nicoll says

Really disappointed to see such a comment that denigrates the work of any scholar. Tell me Ron Shinkle, in what way are you qualified that gives you the right to dismiss in such a subjective and narrow minded way, the insights of someone who, whether you agree with him or not, is expressing his understanding of the Hebrew Scriptures in order to bring a greater understanding to those who are open to learning. You sound like a guy who knows it all and has everything sown up. Perhaps if your mind was a bit more open to learning, you wouldn’t be so judgemental!

3. Charles Keener says

I for one am really appreciative of all your comments. I enjoy studying these issues from different sides but I could not tell from the intro where the instructor was coming from since I am not familiar with Dr. Walton’s work on the issue. I would just add that the mud slinging, in my opinion, is not constructive.

4. Bryant says

I have read Walton’s book on the days of creation as a back ground for the view these ancient people had of creation. Intriguing to say the least. It has opened another door to better biblical exegesis and solidify my hermeneutics to a greater understanding of the first dozen or so chapters of genesis. Whether one is O.E. or Y.E. , this is a solid study worth enduring. I say enduring because you will need to leave your preconceived notions at the door in order to appreciate his contribution to a biblical approach to a view that stretches our understanding of the beginnings.