4 Essential A.W. Tozer Quotes

A.W. Tozer was a servant of God, a prayer warrior, and a selfless pastor. He led Chicago’s Southside Alliance Church for 30 years and authored over 40 books. Throughout his ministry, Tozer applied several idiosyncrasies that complemented his desire to solely glorify God in his teachings.

At the end of each sermon, the altar was open to church attendees, but Tozer often encouraged them to return to their home to pray about becoming a follower of Christ. Tozer feared that having a large altar call would build his personal pride as a pastor, rather than give credit to God for working in people’s hearts. Tozer’s preaching style also fit this mindset—he avoided alliterations and other catchy techniques in his sermons, as he wanted the focus to be exclusively on the Word of God.

Tozer’s words have impacted thousands of people and their walks with God, and his legacy lives on to spread the truth of Christ’s life and love.

Here are four essential quotes by A.W. Tozer. May they remind you to seek God in every situation—both good and bad—that comes your way:

Quotes_7
facebooktwitter

“What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us.”
—A.W. Tozer

Quotes_8
facebook twitter

“It is doubtful whether God can bless a man greatly until He has hurt him deeply.”
—A.W. Tozer

Quotes_10
facebook twitter

“Always, everywhere God is present, and always He seeks to discover Himself to each one.”
—A.W. Tozer

Quotes_18
facebook twitter

“God never hurries. There are no deadlines against which he must work. Only to know this is to quiet our spirits and relax our nerves.”
—A.W. Tozer

Want more powerful quotes?

1500-quotations-for-preachers-with-slidesAccess more quotes, and find the perfect one to complement your sermon when you get 1,500 Quotations for Preachers, with Slides. Save time in your sermon preparation with this fully searchable resource and seamlessly add professional, visually appealing slides.

Or, check out Tozer’s The Pursuit of God, then share your favorite Tozer quote below!

Comments

I ask that you all who are disciples of God; please pray for me; because being a Brother in the Singles Ministry in the Chicago Church of Christ isn’t easy for me.

I’ve gone through a lot of challenges in the last 2 in a half years and some people look down on me; because of the fact that my purity as well as my relationship with God isn’t strong enough; so everyone has attacked my character over the last 2 in half years.

Right now; I’m struggling trying to find myself, so I have to create an identity, because some people keep rejecting me and doubting not only my love for God; but also excepting me and forgiving me for the past hurts that I’ve commented against them and I feel as if it’s inoperative that I get validated and no one has given me a chance and yet I try so hard to get out of myself and every time I do; I get shut down.

I want Brothers to have respect and trust in me and I want Sisters including the Sister of my dreams that I have an interest in to be drawn to me, because of my relationship with God is moving in my life by opening up the flood gates of Heaven to me and Jesus is changing me and I would like for the doors to open and the Chains to be cut off my feet, so I can walk out of captivity free in the Light of The Lord.

But right now; I can’t do that because others as held me captive and I feel like I’m in prison right now; because of where I’m at in my walk with God and because no one has encouraged me, by including me in their lives as a ministry and as a congregation; when I visit other Regions the Chicago Church of Christ; I would like to be welcomed with open arms and not reminded of the past hurts that I’ve commented against them or someone that uses past hurts to hold me Captive in their Hearts.

I need your prayers if your my brothers and sisters in the Singles Ministry; people have doubted me over the last 2 in half years and it’s like their trying to change me, so they can hold me captive to their rules and boundaries and for them to do that; it’s like their trying to tain me and stopping me from being freed; it’s like I’m in the World of Darkness again where I’m being captive in a prison to where they don’t want to me in to see what their life is like and get to know them real side of them and understand there history and there family and get to know them.

And for my from another region that I already know to stop holding me captive and let me into there lives; so I can get to know them as my brothers and sisters in The Lord and why should it matter to them what region I’m in order to be excepted/ Validated.

2. jeanne ibbotson/djaballah says

Eternal Light! eternal Light!
    How pure the soul must be
    When, placed within Thy searching sight,
    It shrinks not, but with calm delight
    Can live, and look on Thee!

The spirits that surround Thy throne
    May bear the burning bliss;
    But that is surely theirs alone,
    Since they have never, never known
    A fallen world like this.

O how shall I, whose native sphere
    Is dark, whose mind is dim,
    Before the Ineffable appear,
    And on my naked spirit bear
    That uncreated beam?

There is a way for man to rise
    To that sublime abode:
    An offering and a sacrifice,
    A Holy Spirit’s energies,
    An Advocate with God.

These, these prepare us for the sight
    Of holiness above;
    The sons of ignorance and night,
    May dwell in the eternal Light,
    Through the eternal Love.

In 1963, during one of Dr Tozer’s last sermons in Toronto, he quoted this poem by Thomas Binney and after the service, I went to speak to him to ask for details. He was gracious, though austere. At home that night, Dad and I sang it several time, and now, 50 years later, the words are still there in my memory. Soon, we will live, look, worship in His presence! what joy!!!

just what i needed today. after losing my husband of 46 years, after caring for Faith a 75 year international nurse who had erronously been put in the mental hospital for 4 months because she was a Christian and believed in naturalpathic medicine instead of drugs for herself. They drugged her causing her body and mind to atrophy as the Dr. threatened to do. She could hardly stand sit or walk when they releashed her to me.
    she was totally independent before. they had no place for her so i took her in and helped her. now God blessed her with a great retirement home. as i spent the day getting her in it, i came home at night to find my art studio, library, and Papillon service dog kennel totally engulfed in flames, killing all but one plus the 5 in my separated home. Then Jason Christy representing Pap Haven Rescue forced me to give him 3 of my serviving service dogs. 2 i had already given away. he relucktantly allowed me to keep one which i need with me all the time. Plus the cel phone was having problems and the computer problems also. I found this mail in junk and only by God opened it. Thank God He had me open it. Valerie 480-391-1593
    Faith and I who am handling it for her still need help with her 2004 Kia Sedona . It was sold to her for $14000 at 24% interest help.

jason

I don't believe that God HURTS US DEEPLY or at all – our choices and the choices of others are normal consequences to "what we sow we reap" and that others want to cause our pain, etc. But mainly the Evil One is out there roaming like a lion to and fro waiting to devour us….God is a just God and a loving one….

• Bobbie Jo says

Perhaps “hurts us deeply” is often misunderstood. It might be better said that he “allows us to be hurt deeply” and the reason is that He knows it will not destroy us, but rather will work to make us strong. I have been the recipient of divine discipline and it worked that way. I have been the recipient of pain not at all caused by me, and it’s still working to make me strong and understanding, thus able to be of comfort and encouragement to others. I can now actually thank my Lord for the trials!

5. Felipe Lumanta says

The cross of Christ signifies our greatest loss of self ambition and dignity.
    The truth of the matter is you can never please God until self is surrendered fully to Him.

Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful;
    nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of
    righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
    –Hebrews 12:11
    If God has singled you out to be a special object of His grace you
    may expect Him to honor you with stricter discipline and greater
    suffering ….You need to read the Bible and discover the real God rather than one of you imagination or supposing.

7. Guadalupe Gonzalez says

God Bless Me In So Many Ways That I Don’t Know How To Thank Him.
    I Been Thru So Many Surgery And Sickness, I Been Bless, I Love God
    So Much.

To me; God wants us to be pure and holy in his kingdom; if it was God’s will for me to focus on my sobriety date for purity group; then I would’ve been pure for 2 in a half years; but right now it’s not his will for me to be pure, because if it was his will for me to be pure and sober on my sobriety date in order for me to develop boundaries; then I would’ve stayed in the Purity Group.

But the thing that I’ve learned was that if I’m in the Purity Group for the wrong reason; then I’ll never be able to get to where God wants me to be and if I’m struggling with the same sin everyday and the Bothers in the Group is not willing to help me; by having D-Time with me 3-4 times a week to strengthen my relationship with God; then it’s not worth being in the Purity Group for any reason.

The Group makes me feel like I’m in prison and that it’s holding me back from enjoying my walk as well as my life in the Church; a Purity Group Shouldn’t define who you are in The Lord; Purity Groups are only for people who are struggling with there Boundaries in the world; but those people get help in the group when it comes to them confessing their sins.

What happened to me was that; the leader of the Group attacked my character when I confessed the same sin that I’ve been struggling with everyday for 2 in a half years.

That’s what made me drop out of the Purity Group after being in the Group for 2 in a half years, because he wouldn’t help me out on what it is that I have to do to improve on getting better in the group; and whenever we have Purity Group every week; it makes me not want to go; because I don’t like the fact that the brothers that we use to have left us and it causes me to struggle everyday with sobriety.

This is something that a brother in the Church told me was this; just because your not in a Purity Group doesn’t mean that your love for God isn’t strong; and that it shouldn’t define you on who you are in The Lord.

Because if we’re not going to help each other on our Boundaries as a group and as a hole; then were not a team the of our group to me is not strong enough for me to were I have that fear of The Lord talking through him and a louding me to be challenge to grow in the group.

When God tells me that I need to listen and hear what he’s telling me; then I need to do that and take his advice and not anyone else’s; it’s Okay to seek Console, but if that person is not going to help you; then you need to look else where or just go to God

11. Aileen Gilbert says

God is a faithful and just God. He watches over those who have their minds stayed on Him. God allows some things to come into our lives and He knows how much we can bear. However , we are responsible for re-presenting Him in our daily walk.

I’m waking up this morning; feeling like, I went to be with a bad taste in my mouth and just woke up with one; it’s hard being a young 2 in a half year old disciple in The Lord; after years of being in this crazy dark world.

To me, it’s like I’m at the beginning of my childhood and it feels like I’m back in the year (1981) as a 2 in a half year old, back in the early 80’s.

But like it was in the world with your earthly family, I see how it feels and what it feels like in God’s church to be easily forgotten to where no one seems to pay any attention to you when your a young disciple and that people don’t want to give you any credit at all whatsoever nor do they care.

But yet they want to see how your doing in your walk with God; but don’t care to see how are things going with you personally in your life; but yet we live in the body of Christ and I feel like that I’m in a prison in the Singles Ministry.

God wants to see me suffer like this; so people can laugh in my face and say that; you haven’t learned anything over the last 2 going on 3 years, well no body from any other region has bothered to call me and ask me if I wanted to come and be apart of their activity with them.

And why is it that we have to wait for some Singles Event or Devotional to get to see people that we don’t see every week; it makes no sense to me; but yet were a body of Christ Jesus.

I have every right to express my displeasure about being Single in the Church; is because nothing great has ever happened to me so far in my life as a disciple.

To me; it’s like get in where you fit in and it’s like to me, that’s not fair and I have older brothers and sisters in the Singles Ministry that treats me like were back in High School again and that sucks; but it’s expected because everyone wants to see you change and grow the way they want you too, instead of the way God wants you too.

Unless you been in the Church for 15 to 20 or so years then people will value you as if to say; yay! He’s one of us and the hazing, teasing and disrespect would finally stop; I feel like as a young disciple; I feel like; I’m getting Hazed every time when it comes to a major Singles event or Devotional and that’s like being in a prison, where I’m being captive in captivity by people.

Our Father in Heaven; Dealing with depression everyday is not fun; neither is being Autistic at this end of the Spectrum isn’t fun either. If God is bigger then my Autism then why was I born to have this prognoses; why is it so hard for me to have to try to remind myself to do my Quit Times and understanding the meaning of what God is asking me to do something; what I don’t understand is this.

Why is it that people don’t understand me in the Church of Christ Jesus ?

Why is it that, I have to go out of my way to show people that this is who I am so I don’t get misunderstood be some people who look at me the wrong way.

16. Anita Endres says

I must differ — God DOES hurt us deeply but because we so shy away from pain and because we don’t know His holy character well enough, we assume pain is bad when in God’s purpose and plan it is a beautiful thing to be embraced. He does it with a pure love that we fail to comprehend. Remember the Scripture says, “Jesus was led BY THE SPIRIT into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil” (Math 4:1) and “Jesus was delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God . . ” Acts 2:23 If Jesus was led by the Spirit into difficulty/pain/hurt/death, we certainly shall be and it WILL hurt us deeply. “But God” (my favorite 2 words) uses it for our sanctification and we rejoice when the pain of the fire is over and we recognize the refinement in us–a reflection of Him.

Trackbacks