How You Can Help the Homeless

homelessHomelessness is one of the most widely recognized faces of poverty. Wherever you live and whatever your socioeconomic status, chances are you’ve encountered homeless people. Maybe you avoid them out of fear that someone desperate enough to ask a stranger for help might also be desperate enough to take advantage of you.

Related post: The Most Talked about Topic in the Bible (Besides God)

But if you want to do more than say “God bless” or “good luck” (James 2:14–17), here are some practical ways you can make an impact on the life of a homeless person:

1. Feed them

Matthew 25:35, Isaiah 58:10
Buying food for someone who needs it is great, it’s easy, and it’s not as risky as giving someone a handful of cash—you know your money is putting food in someone’s stomach. When you’re busy, it’s easy to feel like you don’t have time to help someone. But setting aside as little as 15 minutes to eat with someone does so much more than handing out a sandwich. If you’re spending all day holding a sign to ask complete strangers for help while most of them try not to make eye contact, you aren’t just missing the things on the sign: you’re equally depraved of human contact. (Click to share) When you’re lonely, a meal with a stranger is still better than yet another meal alone. Kind words mean more with a meal, and a meal means more with kind words.

2. Clothe them

Luke 3:11, Matthew 25:36
Imagine how hard it would be to apply for a job or housing when you’ve been living on the streets with a single set of clothes. You’re so filthy that no one wants to shake your hand, let alone live or work alongside you. And even if they’re willing, it takes a very strong person to overcome the social shame that our materialistic, appearance-oriented culture makes these people experience. In a small way, taking someone to pick clothes that not only fit them, but that they can comfortably present themselves in, humanizes them. You could also treat them to a haircut, or something else that reminds them how good it feels to be able to take care of your body. By helping someone look their best, you give them a fighting chance to present themselves in a professional setting.

3. Find work

1 Thessalonians 4:11–12, Proverbs 14:23
There are a lot of resources available to the homeless through public goods, charities, and ministries. But without access to information—who, what, where, when, how—many homeless people remain detached from the opportunities available to them. You could point them to some of these services. Or, you could play a more personal role in helping someone get back on their feet. Set aside some time to help them find nearby places that are hiring. Again, this is more helpful if you are willing to spend time with the person. You could come up with a generic list of positions and places close by using a service like Craigslist, but if you dedicate some time to getting to know the person and talking to them about their skills and experience, you can help them find the jobs they have the best chance at landing. By teaching someone how they could be valuable to a potential employer, you help them feel valued as a person. And God values them, so we should too (John 13:35, 1 John 4:8, John 3:16).

4. Speak up for them

Proverbs 31:8
There are lots of ways that we can speak up for the impoverished. On a purely practical level, writing is a powerful way that we can help empower the homeless. One of the greatest deterrents from employment is poor résumés and cover letters. Even among those who aren’t homeless, sloppy résumés and cover letters, or canned applications that aren’t relevant are some of the biggest problems people have when they apply for work. Even if you aren’t the best writer or you haven’t perfected your own résumé, chances are you can still help someone who needs it. And the more time you spend getting to know them, the better you’ll be at helping them present themselves and eventually provide for themselves.

5. Help them stay busy

Proverbs 19:15, 1 Thessalonians 5:14, Ephesians 5:15–16
Imagine that you are completely dependent on others, and that you have an infinite supply of time to stand by yourself, waiting for help. A homeless man named Tucker once told me, “The worst part is being alone with your thoughts. You fight with yourself and your head tells you that you suck. You’re nothing. Worthless.” As a stream of happy, busy people drive by without so much as a second glance, that internal battle is constantly fueled by external circumstances. How do you pass the time when you have too much of it? What are some healthy ways to kill time that you could share with someone? For me, it’s books. And I’m a firm believer that people who “don’t like books” just haven’t found the right one yet. But there are so many blessings we take for granted every day that we can share with our homeless neighbors: music, conversations, Scripture, board games, and more.

Rules of engagement:

Before you mentally commit to helping someone, there are a few things you should keep in mind. However you plan to help someone, be flexible. Remember that the people you are talking to have lives. They have things they care about and priorities. You don’t know how you can help someone the most until you know what they need the most help with. Have a plan, but be prepared to improvise and adapt.

How are you serving the homeless around you? Tell us in the comments!

And if you want to learn more about how to engage poverty in the world around you, check out some of these great resources:

when-helping-hurts-how-to-alleviate-poverty-without-hurting-the-poor-and-yourselfmake-poverty-personal-taking-the-poor-as-seriously-as-the-bible-doessharing-the-blessing-overcoming-poverty-and-working-for-justicewipf-and-stock-christian-life-collectionjust-generosity-a-new-vision-for-overcoming-poverty-in-america

Comments

1. Doug says

Great article, yet in regard to helping the homeless find work has its barriers..Employer applications require a physical address and phone number..Big Box stores, hospitals (any type of job (custodial, housekeeping) require drug testing…In some cases personality testing…Things have changed drastically from 20 years ago, when one could interview face to face and get hired immediately. Some larger churches provide career services for free..How to interview and also a jog listing of area jobs.

2. Stephen says

Perhaps, this article should be entitled “How to Enable the Homeless.” In the large city where I live, 99% of the homeless don’t have to live that way; they choose it and prefer it. 99% of the panhandlers are professional at what they do. Some of them make more money than the avergae 40 hour a week worker. They have no incentive to get a real job. I also read no mention in this article about meeting the true need of their life – the spiritual one. If they change spiritually through Christ then it will change many of these other areas of perceived “need.” My personal experience has led me to believe that the things prescribed here don’t help, they hurt. I have done most of these things before, only to find the reality that the things you would like to help them with (i.e. employment, etc…), they don’t want. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

Unfortunately Stephen, you’re right. Sometimes, the homeless who are most visible are satisfied where they are. I once asked a guy if I could take him out to eat, and he said “Can you just bring it to me? I don’t want to lose my spot. This is a good spot.” And there are plenty of cases, like you said, where they have figured out how to work the system and mastered the art of manipulation.

That being said, the people holding the signs do not represent the majority of the homeless. Where I live, if every homeless person had a sign and a street corner, I would have a hard time finding a single intersection that wasn’t occupied by multiple homeless. There are a lot of people living on the streets that don’t want to live that way. That’s why homeless ministries and secular charities exist to walk along side them.

You are also right that the spiritual need is the most important part. My fear though is that we often allow ourselves to be described by James 2:14-17.

There are far greater ways to help the homeless in our communities. And they require far more sacrifice of our time, the possessions God has entrusted to us, and our lives.

3. Michael P. Bielas says

God has called me to ministry to serve the least of these and yes the first ministry He called me to was a homeless shelter in my city. I started as a volunteer and that led to full time service as a chaplain. Our organization the Gospel Rescue Mission does all five of those things but there is something to be said for enabling them as Stephen wrote. However, we serve them as God would have us to by providing a safe drug/alcohol free place to stay, get a shower, eat a hot meal, and to hear the Word of God and the Gospel message every night at chapel service. They come to us we do not drag them there and when we reach out in love lives are transformed by the grace of God. We also have several programs that help them find work as well as long-term Christ based relapse prevention program. It is exciting to see God work each day when we are willing to serve and get out of His way.

4. Michael P. Bielas says

5. David Ollikkala says

You Rock Michael ! I try to help Homeless people by letting them stay in my home for limited times. I wouldn't recommend that for everyone but Jesus likes it.

• madeline clemons says

im a pregnant female and im on the edge of being homeless and i dont know what to do i have a job and i get paid every two weeks i just never have enough to cover my hotel room rent i have asked many churches for help but they tell me that they cant do anything for me i have never been on the streets and im scared i stay in kissiimmee florida at palm at the lake front inn 4074801321 room 121 my name is madeline clemons and im just asking can someone please help me and keep me from being on the streets my cell number is 4074048800 thank you and god bless everyone who is willing to help me.

I follow Google Alerts looking for homeless stories and saw Ryan Nelson’s post. I’m not homeless but I did befriend a drunk, homeless woman in my NYC neighborhood. She was 33, a former beauty queen from Italy and out there six years. At first she disgusted and frightened me until our friendship grew to where I became obsessed to restore her dignity. Her family knew nothing about her plight until she allowed me to write to them. After two years of a street friendship where I never gave her money or took her to my home, I did take her home to her family in Italy. I believe I was “chosen” for this deed. There is no other logical explanation for my devotion to her and this mission.

I strongly believe that if “housed” people would offer food, clothing, unconditional love and compassion, even from the street level, many more homeless people would find a way home.

My book about this incredible journey is entitled “The Street or Me: A New York Story.” I’d like very much to see it offered on Vyrso. Can someone suggest how it gets there?

Thanks for sharing your story Judith! That sounds like a powerful book.

I spoke with Vyrso for you, and while the content looks excellent, developing new books into the Vyrso format is expensive. They generally only work with publishers directly, since publishers are best equipped to then promote the book.

I do hope that you continue sharing your story and that you find more places to get the word out about it! I sincerely wish you luck.

7. Michael P. Bielas says

David Ollikkala

That is different than what I do and I think our mission has a policy against that plus my wife and family might object a little. Although, I have thought about it with one client who graduated our long-term program until he got his feet back under him. But by the grace of God, he found a temporary place.

8. Michael P. Bielas says

David Ollikkala

Dear Brethren:
    Thank you for all commenting, and the article. Awesome. I have been sent by the Lord to Paterson, NJ, to serve and to be used by God to be instrumental in saving souls. You all have valid points. I am starting by uniting the churches and evangelizing on the streets. We have taken people into our homes, and have listened a little, have fed, and had a little success. I invite, welcome, and would appreciate any Godly advice and/or assistance of any kind. I beseech you, servants of God, blessed with wisdom that comes from above, that you contact me. http://www.timetocareministries.org yehoshuamk@gmail.com

• says

Michael,

I so appreciate your sharing your God-given vision. I want to give you a perspective that might give you a little power to persevere. Many are saying that we as the church need to go to the marginalized to make a difference. Though I agree we need to go to the marginalized, we need to change the motive. We don’t go to them to make a difference. We go to them because the Lord commanded us, whether we make a difference or not.

In our pragmatic society, we require results from our work. Though that has gotten us far as a nation, and the engine of productivity and innovation is based on pragmatic ways and means, I’m afraid that this has crept into the ministry of the church. Correct me if I’m wrong–and this is a plea to anyone who reads this–I don’t see anyplace in Scripture where God tells us to go make a difference in our world. Neither do I see anyplace in Scripture where God tells us to change the world. I can see where people would understand the Great Commission could be taken to reach the world for Christ, but even then it’s not in in a pragmatic framework.

I remember Isaiah’s recording of his experience after his heavenly vision and hearing God’s call: “Who will go for us?” and Isaiah said, “here am I, send me!” And he heard the Lord say, “Go, and say to this people: “ ‘Keep on hearing, but do not understand; keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’
      Make the heart of this people dull, and their ears heavy, and blind their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their hearts, and turn and be healed.”

Then I said, “How long, O Lord?” And he said: “Until cities lie waste without inhabitant, and houses without people, and the land is a desolate waste, and the LORD removes people far away, and the forsaken places are many in the midst of the land. And though a tenth remain in it, it will be burned again, like a terebinth or an oak, whose stump remains when it is felled.” The holy seed is its stump In other words, I see God telling the prophet, “people are not going to hear you, Isaiah. But keep on with the ministry because I sent you.”

Jesus also had the “problem” of no response when He said, “To what then shall I compare the people of this generation, and what are they like?
      They are like children sitting in the marketplace and calling to one another, “ ‘We played the flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a dirge, and you did not weep.’ And though Jesus got little response from His preaching (except when He gave them free food and health care–being raised from the dead is the ultimate!), He didn’t deter from His task and mission–of dying for us to pay the ultimate price for our sin incurred against Holy God. It didn’t seem to bother Jesus that He had few followers during His ministry.

With that said, it should be obvious that God DOES use us to make a difference. The church that Jesus is building is reaching the world and changing it. And that He uses His people in the church do it. Hallelujah! But the bottom line for me is that He has called His people to keep their eyes on Him, follow Him, do what He commanded, and if people are changed, we give God the glory. And if no one is affected, at least outwardly, then we praise Him as well, for the privilege of His calling us into His harvest field and ministry in His world–for God owns it all.

May the Lord bless you, Michael as you continue, perhaps with no pragmatic results, in the ministry God has given you to do.

10. AD says

I spent over a decade working with homeless in LA in various capacities. These capacities ranged from chaplain, counselor, halfway house resident monitor, etc. These homeless ranged from teenage runaways, substance abusers, mentally ill, and more.

About 60 – 70% are substance abusers, 20 – 30% are mentally ill.

When helping the homeless, I was assaulted multiple times, robbed many times, dealt with a lot of violence & death, complex mental illnesses and more. Homeless are often both victims and victimizers. There is alot of death on the streets, as well as violence, theft, and sexual crimes.

People trying to steal from me while I prayed with them, took them to the hospital, etc, was not unusual. It’s a fallen world and part of entering into people’s broken lives. I knew someone who was killed and robbed by someone he took into his home.

I applaud people’s desire to get involved. Spend time with the homeless in public places where the risk of assault, etc., is reduced. Offering to buy someone lunch and sit and talk with them is often ok. Do not invite them to your home, car, etc.

Don’t be naive, work under and be mentored by people with experience dealing with the life controlling problems that keep these people on the street.

Christ transforms, but it is not a simple process. Be wise as serpents , but innocent as doves. Have solid, well thought out boundaries. Learn from people with street savvy.

11. AD says

By the way, the causes of chronic homelessness are not plain poverty, but rather life controlling problems such as substance abuse, mental illness, debilitating emotional problems, etc.

Most homelessness caused by lack of financial resources is quickly addressed by the safety net in the USA.

12. Anonymous says

I have been on staff at the Beacon Light Mission in Wilmington, Ca for over 3 years. This article has some good pointers that I will pass to my fellow workers. We are classed as an emergency shelter by the government, but homelessness in these times are proving to be more than temporary. If we can help to create in those we serve a sense of self worth it will make a difference. We see that the GOSPEL is brought forth each night before dinner that is served 365 days a year. It is GOD that changes the lives of those who come through our doors. We are simply servants of the most high.

13. Misty says

This is going to sound crazy and I understand what you are trying to say but it’s not the best solution. The bible part yes. But I have worked with the homeless, I have been homeless in the past
    The reality is most not all don’t work because they don’t have to the can be homeless have no overhead the get food stamps and free government phones they have good Christian people genuinely caring providing food, haircuts, clothing, sleeping bags, tents, toiletries, And a lot more other stuff. They teach each other how to make the signs, what signs bring in the most money, they have pets and or share pets because they get more money this way people actually use kids other people’s kids to get more money and the parents get a kickback. A lot of them even get social security and they have no bills typically the money is spent on drugs, alcohol, or whatever. This is first hand knowledge. I’m not heartless I love helping people but a hand out needs to become a hand up. If you want to give back find people or businesses that are helping them better themselves. I did an internship at a place that does tutoring there was a client that is homeless on the street every time he came in he smelled really bad because he didn’t shower and eventually they very nicely told him he needed to shower before coming in he got really mad swearing and what not and left. I don’t recall how long it took before he came back. But he came back and asked to shower or had already showered he said he went with his friend getting drunk complaining about it. And his friend says “do you really want your GED?” his response was “yes” his friend said something along the lines of “than stop crying about it and go take a shower.” His friend was also a homeless person. If I was rich I would open a shelter and give counseling, groups, job search requirements, budgeting, self improvement classes. All the classes would be assigned to suit each individual there would be weekly goals and long term goals, savings plans to help save to get their own place. That kind of help can be life changing to those who give it their all. At least it was for me When I was in a similar shelter I changed my whole life and have been living for God and achieving goals ever since and that was over 4 years ago. Helping is good just be sure the end result is productive. Also I don’t believe all homeless people choose to be homeless but most of them do because basically from myself and several other sources of people on the streets they do it because it’s basically a free ride there is no responsibilities and some of them are just running from the law. I don’t know if this all came out right but I just thought this is a subject very close to my heart so I wanted to share. See what kind of feedback or what people think about this sort of mentality.

Thank you for sharing, Misty. That doesn’t sound crazy at all. I appreciate your insight!

Dear Brethren:
    Thank you for posting my request earlier. No responses yet. Why not? Just to fill you in more, I would like to relate that I suffered about thirty years of schizophrenia and its treatment. That included an accumulation of well over 4 years of institutionalization, eight months of homelessness, and even a few months in jail. Upon Salvation, I was healed by the hand of God, and have been teaching now eight years for mentally ill people. I do have a history of service, also, being on supervisory committees and founding membership of several organizations, but that was when I was in the world, and now must do it God’s way, reflecting Jesus, and use the helping of homeless, single parents, jobless, addicted, mentally ill, gangs, etc.. as a means to show His love and the need for salvation. Please, brethren, any of you who know some people that are doing any of these with success and godliness, please contact me. I am reaching out from Paterson, NJ area, population 150k. http://www.timetocareministries.org
    yehoshuamk@gmail.com Michael Kahn

I have worked with the homeless and the addict for over 6 years now; they relate to me because I was once one of them. 40 years of addiction, violence, homelessness and hopelessness melted away at the saving grace of an Almighty God – but it took work. For those of you who want to engage those lost on the street, you must have the hide of a rhino, the patience of Job, the heart of Messiah, and the spiritual discernment to know which battles are yours and which are not. If you are out there just trying to look good, or punch a resume about how much you care, don't go. The ones on the street can spot a phony a mile away; all you will do is bring shame on the name of Christ. But if you want to make a difference, then build relationships; do not try to engage if you cannot take the time to do this simple thing. Always travel in pairs, for your safety and the safety of those you are ministering to; It is a hard mission field, the street. Many have been hurt by religion, so don't take them religion! Take them the love of Messiah.. In the end it is not so much what you say, but how you live and walk that draws someone in. You are the only Bible many will ever read – will your ministry hold up to the standard God sets? Most programs out there are just revolving doors – most will tell you if they are honest that they have a 90% return rate back to the streets – unacceptable. It takes dedication and work to minister to those on the street, and it takes unconditional love to pull one off the streets and help them on their way. It is in our commitment to love that all success or failure hinges. It was in this love of Christ for a lost world that all things became new at the cross. So must it be in our commitment to the lost. Can we go forth in love, preach the word of God, bring converts to His house and then go our way leaving the new born to the wolves of the world, without protection or knowledge of how to stand? And what are we teaching them – is it just what we regurgitate from what somebody else taught us, or do we do the hard work of actually studying the Holy Word of God, shedding our preconceived notions, our traditions for the Truth that is written in the Word? The Word of God contains all we need to reach them, all we need to teach them…for they must be made strong, and only God’s word can build that strength within them. Who will stand in the gap for them till they are strong? If it is only a part time passion for you, then the walls that the homeless or the addict build up will never come down. Part of what we do is learn: Learn of him, learn how He did and why He did; then we learn about those we want to help, we listen, we cry, we laugh. To do so is to grow in His grace, and as we grow in this grace, knowledge and revelation increase. We then begin to walk in the way He has instructed us to, not in the ways of man or the world, but in His footsteps, and if we walk as He, then those we want to help will be encouraged to do the same. I’ve said this before, but we really must ask ourselves this question: if it was important for Christ to do something, then should not we be studying the Word to see what it was that Yeshua did and follow His example? With these lessons learned, with a willingness to be open and let God’s word tells us how we are to be, then we will be better prepared to accept the role that Christ expects us to be in, that leading His children to their own growth, so they in turn will lead others. This is obedience, the following of the Son of Man, not a doctrine: of loving Christ, not what He represents. Jesus’ love transcended into His death on the cross. He represents the supreme act of obedience. Our obedience will lead to the freedom that has eluded so many. Our walk needs to be right to help those whose walk has yet to begin. Count the cost brothers and sisters – this isn't a half hearted thing to do. Go all the way or stay home. I know that sounds harsh, but believe me, coming from one who has lived that life, you can do more harm than good if you are not prepared to put in the hard work. Remember, personal care must be given new converts, if only for a time, so that the way for them to proceed is clearly outlined so as not to allow them to wander around aimless, but with direction and purpose. This involves “one to one” participation of a spiritual “mentor”, one who is willing to give of himself or herself to be at service to another or a small group of others. This is the basis of the way of our Messiah and His being an example for us. We are to then be examples for others to follow. What good does it do to convert the lost, then abandon them? We must not leave our new brothers and sisters to fend for themselves: sacrifice is needed to raise children, and the same is true of God’s children. We are talking about a system of being available to teach, to pray, to lead by example, to walk before man, to instruct him how to walk, not weekly or monthly, but day to day. We struggle ourselves, but are these struggles to be hidden away, or can the struggle itself be used to show the victory of Jesus Christ? A helping hand is wonderful, but a hand that leads and sacrifices is needed more. Consider these things, and prayerfully seek His guidance in what you do…

16. Scott S. diVincenzo says

How many formerly homeless are now employed FT for FaithLife ?

Nearly Half the US is unemployed and/or scraping by on just over poverty wages and for those with useless health insurance can barely afford the co pays let alone the tine off.

Honestly for those of you who haven’t been assaulted by those you are trying to assist … clothing them for one day , after you shower them in your house, will neither feed them nor drive them to these mystery employers long enough for them to save 1st & last months rent.

• says

David,
      Thank you very much for taking the time to put this together. The Lord has brought to our small fellowship a number of people who have a sincere love for Jesus and a deep desire to help those in need. Your article is a GREAT resource to train them to not get taken in on “people consumers” (excellent descriptor!).

Thanks again,

Glenn Hawkins

There is such help and hope in doing a lot for a short time, but also in doing a little for a long time. God bless those that do a lot for a long time!
    But be assured, even a little for a little time is so valuable.
    For about 17 years, I worked in down town Toronto. My day would start very early, walking the streets to work after exiting the GO Train. My backpack would contain 10 to 20 granola bars to be given to the awake, or laid silently by the sleeping.
    There were conversations and adventures, but really not that much feedback.
    Now retired, I have two deep hopes… that someone else is helping them, and that I made a difference. You cannot do everything, but how many of us can do nothing?

18. saba joy says

Dear,Brother/ Sister
    Greeting in the precious and mighty name our Lord Jesus Christ.
    It is my privilege to have an email with you. Well I have got your email address from your web site. Permit me to give you some information about my Ministry and me. I am Saba Joy The general secretary of Bright Hope Ministries from Lahore, Pakistan i am serving the Lord Jesus Christ with my Evangelistic and Humanity based ministry , to glorify His name and there is good team of Ministers working with us in the field of Harvest in Pakistan. Our main focus is to reach to unreached with Love of Christ. Dear minister, People of Pakistan needs of knowing about the truth and Love of our Lord Jesus Christ especially the poor people are deprived one. As you already know that this nation is under the heavy authority of the Devils who are really tormenting and destroying this precious nation. Minister, BHM Pakistan is a Humanity base organization and working for the development of the human beings its main object is to mitigate the effects of poverty, disease, illiteracy, bad governance, disasters, human rights abuse and environmental degradation, on the human race at grass roots level and against all odds, restore its decorum. We accomplish this mission by implementing various community based programs like (For the empowerment of women and made them self employed, Computer Center, Sewing Center, flood relief projects, relief in disasters, provide food to poor and disable families, Orphans Center, addressing challenges faced by Children and Youth, Women and the Girl Child, Orphans and Vulnerable Children.I want to invite you with great love and encouraging words to come to Pakistan and bring the Good News of Lord Jesus Christ and share you’re anointing and blessing with the people of Pakistan. There is only one percent Christian in Pakistan out of 187 million people. Now out of one percent Christians most of them are nominal Christians so there is an urgent need of Servants of the Lord. ” For the earnest expectation of the creation eagerly waits for the revealing of sons of God” (Romans 8:19). I will keep on praying for your visit to Pakistan . May Lord lay burden on your heart for your Pakistani brethren.we are inviting you under the guidance of Holy Spirit to come to Pakistan to conduct crusades, seminars, Leadership conferences Evangelical Meetings

God Bless you
    Evangelist Saba Joy
    Pastor Faisal Manzoor
    Ph:+92-321-3242000
    Lahore-Pakistan

19. Danny Ianson says

I believe in god and I believe that Jesus didn’t just surround himself with the homeless and the addicts and prostitutes for no reason. He did it as an example of how to spend time with them listen to them and show them gods way and how to achieve it through faith belief and knowing your loved and special. These people who find themselves in these terrible situations certainly do not want to be there. It’s offensive to even suggest it. Yes they may become accustom to there life but if we as christians show them the way out of captivity I’m sure they will be so happy and grateful god nos I was.