What God Meant: “The Love of Money is a Root of All Kinds of Evils”

“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. It is through this craving that some have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many pangs.” —1 Timothy 6:10

love-of-money

What did Paul mean when he said, “For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils . . . ”?

Many people view this verse in a way that depicts all money to be evil and not of Jesus, but this isn’t really the case at all. Jesus states that “the love of money” is where we will find evil, and to not find ourselves loving and idolizing it.

Is money wrong? Of course not. Money helps pay our bills, feed our families, and even fund our schooling. But does this mean we should put money-making on a pedestal above God? Nope, not even close. There is nothing wrong with having nice things, eating nice food, or even buying a nice house. The problem is when we begin finding our identity in the stuff money can buy us instead of finding our identity in Christ alone. This is where the evil comes in. Remember, all the money you have comes from God in the first place. What you do with that money says a lot about your character, your relationship with God, and where your priorities fall.

Money might be a great resource, but it’s going to make a horrible god.

Relax. It’s OK to work hard and earn a paycheck. This verse reminds us that the love of money is a root of all kinds of evils. God has called us to be mature when it comes to our finances, and to not let our love for worldy things take over our love for him and his promises.

* * *

The Faithlife Study Bible combines a modern English translation, three layers of detailed study notes, and rich multimedia to make Bible study better than ever. Download it free from your favorite app store.

Comments

This is the first positive comment on money I have seen for a long time.
    Most commentators seem to avoid it like the plague. They have a tendency that it is Godly to be broke and that Jesus was poor. I call that the Poverty Mentality and it sadly pervades the Church.
    On the opposite extreme is the prosperity doctrine that is also vastly misunderstood. It is not incorrect. The problems emerge when excess happens.
    A look at the wealth Israel had before apostasy is amazing.
    Israel came out of Egypt with 430 years of back pay with interest.
    David's tithe which as the offering for the Temple would possibly be in the Billions now.
    Solomon's temple was renowned.
    God is not against us having things, but he is against things having us.
    If we cannot accept prosperity on earth now… to get the ministry done… we will be uncomfortable in Heaven. The streets are made of solid gold! Diamonds and all kinds of precious gems abound. I've seen them! People laugh but I have been to heaven and saw diamonds as big as motor cars there.
    I have started a comprehensive study of these matters to hopefully bring proper balance to correct teaching on the matter.
    Would Logos be interested I wonder?

2. Scott C Austin says

ever notice when it the bible says you cannot serve two masters, that only one of the Masters can have a relationship with you. It is not money that can be a master but your attitude towards it that can master you.

This article just reminds me of my committment to be a good stewart of my money. Not to overindulge my desires, but to put my needs over my wants. My needs are to have money to sustain me through out my retirement and to be able to afford any medical needs that may arise. And, to give soundly to my local church, supporting their needs and the ministries of the people in the community. All that I have has been provided to me by God and I am blessed. I don't ever want to forget what He has done for me.

"It’s OK to work hard and 'earn' a paycheck." Typically when we state we "earned" something, our focus becomes on ourselves instead of God. Indeed all blessings come from Him, so can we ever "earn" something from God?

"Money is to be used to pay Bills, and for Food, Clothing and to live on. We shouldn't be so OBSESSED with it. Only because we can't take it with us when we die. If we are BLESSED to have extra it should be used to help others that are less fortunate than ourselves. It becomes EVIL when people HOARD it and don't share. But we also need to beware of GREEDY MONEY HUNGRY people who think of MONEY as their vice. Because they are the SELFISH type. Therefor we need to handle Money with kit gloves"!!

I have said life is sacred because it comes from God, and life is precious because it is measured; we only have a limited amount of it (Psalm 139:16). Time is the measure of life, and money is the measure of the time or portion of life and labor we expend to earn it. This is what I say show what a person devotes their time and money to and I will show you their god. Ergo, money, since it is a measure of that portion of our lives we spent earning it, is precious. While it is spent quickly and easily, It should never be spent thoughtlessly if we are to be good stewards of our financial resources. But in the end money is just a tool and should never be an idol.

8. Jeff Diana Rae Ringer says

I love this passage, I like the insight I gained by reading the Latin. The basic idea I came away with understanding is that covetousness is the root of many evils. When I think back to the fall this was the sin of the garden wanting more than what God had given.

9. william flinn says

Actually Jesus directly says that money is evil. In Luke 16:9 he refers to money as “unrighteous mammon”.. mammon is money, and unrighteous mean evil. sorry to burst your prosperity bubble but the teaching of Christ is clear and simple.