The 7 Best Study Bibles on Logos.com

Bible_paperLast week, I wrote about the most important factors to consider when choosing a study Bible, and I explained how the Faithlife Study Bible performs in each of them. This is a powerful resource that has something to offer no matter where you are in your faith journey. But you may want to augment your FSB with an additional set of study notes, and there are number of other exceptional study Bibles available for purchase on Logos.com. Here’s a quick rundown of some of them:

ESV Study Bible—One of them most highly regarded study Bibles ever produced, the ESV was the first Bible to be named Christian Book of the Year. J. I. Packer, who chaired the ESV translation team, served as the theological editor for the study Bible. This study tool commands the respect of church leaders from virtually every denomination.

Nelson Study Bible—I’ll admit to a little bias here because I carried Nelson through high school and much of college, but ask anyone who has used it, and they’ll tell you that the Nelson Study Bible is one of the most theologically balanced study Bibles available today. It’s more pastoral than some of the other study Bibles on the list. Its scholarship is delivered in plain English with an emphasis on life application.

Believer’s Study Bible—In many ways, Believer’s is the predecessor of the Nelson Study Bible. Edited by W. A. Criswell, the Believer’s Study Bible reflects the fundamental Baptist tradition that undergirds much of the American church.

Apologetics Study Bible—Rather than offering an exegetical overview and historical background like most study Bibles, the Apologetics Study Bible articulates a compelling reason to believe at every turn. Many of the church’s leading apologists and thinkers—such as Ravi Zacharias, Norman Geisler, and Al Mohler—contributed to this great resource. Inside you’ll find expansive notes—more like essays—that address important questions like, “Is the Bible reliable and true?”

The MacArthur Study Bible—John MacArthur has plenty of critics, but few scholars have studied the Word as extensively as he has. MacArthur famously set aside 30 hours each week for purposed Bible study throughout his 30-year ministry. That amounts to more than 46,000 hours of deliberate Bible study. I think it’s safe to say that we all have something to learn from him.

Women’s Study Bible—In addition to a rich exegetical commentary written by women for women, the Women’s Study Bible also includes portraits of more than 100 women of the Bible. This is a valuable resource for both women and men of faith.

The Scofield Reference Bible—The Geneva Bible is widely regarded as the first-ever study Bible. But the Scofield was the first published in the modern era. It was groundbreaking in several ways. In a practical sense, it was one of the first Bibles to be printed alongside supplemental notes. In a theological sense, it brought dispensationalism into the mainstream. Now more than 100 years old, the Scofield is undoubtedly a classic Bible study tool.

Buy one or more of these study Bibles on Logos.com, and you can enjoy it right away in your FSB app.

Which of these study Bibles do you prefer? Tell us in the comments.

Comments

I prefer the Andrews Study Bible (also available for the Logos platform) for its solid scholarship and fidelity to the word of God, yet written with a simple clarity that is appealing to all.

30 hours a WEEK… ho-ly COW! Wow… now you know why I tend to get upset when I hear any pastor say "I usually write my sermon on Saturday before Sunday, leaving me time for other things during the week…" YUCK!

Interesting how that article does not mention my "study" Bible if choice – the Inductive Study Bible. The inductive study method is amazing to me. What I love about it most is, it forces me to be the commentator, with wide blank margins on the outside edge, and a guide for each book with keywords to mark and other historical and other tips. It is for me the most impactful way to get the Holy Spirit truly involved in my study http://precept.org/about_inductive_bible_study

From a Lutheran Perspective, I use the Lutheran Study Bible (which uses the ESV) and the Concordia Self-Study Bible notes (which uses the NIV version). The Logos 5 makes checking references very quick and interesting to see which ideas are added in each study Bible. I like the details both study Bibles offer.

Steve- I love Inductive Bible Study and have enjoyed taking several Precept Bible Studies. For a quick study and prep, however, study Bibles are a great resource, as are the thousands of titles available on the Logos/Faithlife platform.

7. Anonymous says

Henry Morris's Study Bible should be added to your list! It is the only one. Its m message is that of Creation,Redemption and Eternal.

8. gary says

You don’t need a PhD to know the Bible is false.

Instead of reading scholarly responses to (Bart) Ehrman as recommended, he (Gary) renounced faith. …The pastors at Gary’s former church were concerned as he sparred with capable disciples of Ehrman that he had not yet come to an understanding of Lutheranism. His formation as a Lutheran required time and inculturation. So, yes, in this sense I failed to form him as a disciple of Jesus and for that I am sorry. —my former orthodox Lutheran pastor

My former pastor is not alone in his assessment that my lack of knowledge is the source of my problem. Many a Lutheran pastor and layperson has accused me of not fully understanding Lutheran doctrine and teachings as the cause of my loss of faith and deconversion from Christianity. What’s fascinating is that many an evangelical pastor and layperson has accused me of not understanding “true Christian” (evangelical) doctrine and teaching as the cause of my deconversion. Both groups have given me long lists of apologists (from their respective denominational flavor of Christianity only, of course) to educate me in the truths of Holy Scripture (as they read and understand it).

But here’s the thing: I don’t need to understand the nuances of the Doctrines of Baptismal Regeneration, the Real Presence, Predestination, or Justification by Faith Alone, to know that the Bible is a book of nonsense. All I need is a high school education and a functioning brain.

Here are the cornerstone beliefs of orthodox Christianity:

1. The first human was created by an ancient middle-eastern god blowing air into a pile of dirt.

2. Death, disease, and all the pain and suffering in the world are the result of the first humans eating an ancient middle-eastern god’s fruit.

3. This same ancient middle eastern god soon had pity on humans for inflicting horrific suffering and death upon them for eating his fruit, so he decided to send himself to earth, in the form of a human being, to sacrifice himself, to appease the righteous anger of…himself.

4. This ancient middle-eastern god sent himself to earth in the form of a human being by having his ghost impregnate a young Jewish virgin, giving birth to…himself….as a divine god/man.

5. This divine god/man grew up to then preach the news of eternal redemption and forgiveness for ancestral forbidden-fruit-eating; “good news” meant for all the people of earth…by going to one desolate, sparsely populated, backwater corner of the globe where he taught in riddles that not even his closest followers could understand.

6. Even upon his death his closest followers had no clue what he was talking about. This god/man left no written instructions regarding what he required of mankind, only his confusing, often contradictory oral riddles. However, he allegedly left the job of written instructions to four anonymous writers, three of whom plagiarized the first, and, one bipolar, vision-prone, Jewish rabbi, who concocted contradictory wild tales of resurrections and ascensions into outer space.

Dear friend: You do NOT need to read the books of Christian apologists, theologians, and pastors to determine if these assertions of ancient, middle-eastern facts are true. No. All you have to do is use your brain: These kinds of things do not happen in real life. They only happen in fairy tales and ancient myths. It is all superstitious nonsense.

NO ONE in the 21st century with a high school education should believe these ancient tall tales.